My Blog List

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Before the Battle


I am not going to say that I’m not scared. I ‘m scared.
I am not going to say that I’m calm. I’m anxious.
Last night, I had a dream about the rally. It was only 10 of us, no support, no opposition, no one giving a shit.  Projections, projections…
This time in 2012, May 17th, a bunch of activists tried to march from philarmonia to the freedom square, but we were stopped by young boys with black shirts and long beards. Activists got mistreated and beaten.  On the second day, we stood by the parliament building along with some ambassadors, while the shirt-and-beard boys prayed for the safety of their souls right across the street.
 This year, we are going to have several minutes of silence, commemorating victims of homophobia.  We’re going to wear different-colored t-shirts to form a rainbow flag. That’s all we’re going to do.
This 10 minute gathering of ours snowballed into a scandal of gargantuan proportions. Gay parade in Tbilisi! Men in skirts taking over the city! Girls marrying girls! Georgian race going extinct due to the whole nation having only same-sex relations!
Let’s hold a praying march in order to force the devil out of their bodies! Let’s pray from philarmonia till Sioni! Let’s beat them! Let’s swear at them! Let’s post threatening massages on their fb pages! Let’s camp in front of the parliament the night before the rally so that they have no place to stand! Let’s force them into a car road, so that they break the law and get arrested! Let’s protest in front of their office! Let’s blow their motherfucking asses off!
You know what’s scary? I haven’t even made anything up. That’s what I read every day, hear every day, answer every day. It’s worrying my husband, since he likes me bruise-less. It’s worrying my aunt, who  will accompany me to the rally and I guess shield me from rotten tomatoes, stones, kicks, crosses, holy water, I don’t know, whatever they decide to throw our way. It’s worrying my friend who was stalked by those boys for a month after the last rally. It’s worrying my other friend who will loose his home, if he’s seen on TV with us. It’s worrying me sick, but I put on a brave face and I don’t want my friends to know, because I fear their panic. Because we are all going anyway.
We’ll see what happens. I’ll write about what happens.  
You can watch what happens!!! Come join us this May 17th, 1 P.M., in front of the parliament building!
Avoid the philarmonia crowd. Don’t wear rainbow-colored stuff. Don’t argue with the fanatics. Be safe. 
Come! The more of you there, the less chance of us getting beaten!

5 comments:

  1. Best of luck. keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo, All the very best and be safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's face it and accept it Georgian Church and church leaders are biggest supporter of LGBT people in Georgia. Without their effort and act shown by them LGBT rally would not be so much popular and famous around the world. So LGBT people should send thank you notes and flowers to Church and their leader. Next year there will be more LGBT in same rally and this is good sign of developing society.

    ReplyDelete